THE HISTORY OF ALICE BROWN ELEMENTARY

001

This school was named after Alice Brown, one of the District's legendary teachers and administrators. She came to Langley in 1911, began her forty-seven year teaching career at Belmont School in 1924, and continued to teach until 1975. 

The school is situated on 5.05 acres of land and is located at 20011-44 Avenue at the corner of 44 Avenue and 200 Street. The school opened in 1977 with fifteen standard classrooms, a gymnasium, library, computer room and kindergarten room and a total of 425 students. It was necessary to move two portables in at one time. The enrolment declined to 318 pupils by the year 2003. There were two classrooms that were not fully utilized. 

A fire set by an arsonist on Sunday, December 12, 1999, damaged the grade two classroom and caused extensive smoke damage throughout the building, except for the gymnasium. The Christmas concert was cancelled because of the smoke odour and because the gymnasium was used to store school equipment from the classrooms until repairs could be completed. 

Special programs at Alice Brown include an annual public speaking contest for grades 4 to 7, the grade 6 and 7 band (which has a history of students learning to play the ukelele), an outdoor education program at Evans Lake for grade 7s, and a strong emphasis on reading with a school-wide reading program. The school logo is a Star which represents being safe, trustworthy, accountable, and respectful. Social responsibility is taught school-wide. 

Enrolment reached 316 by the year 2004. 

Back to top 1




Navigation Links for History of Langley Schools Section

Click on the following

or

Return to LRTA Web Site’s Home Page



1234


 Contact web master © LRTA, December 2013