DOROTHY PEACOCK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Dorothy P

Dorothy Peacock Elementary, located at 20292 - 91A Avenue in the Walnut Grove Community, was built in 1998 and named for a long-time Langley teacher who passed away in 1997. 

Dorothy Peacock, born in 1904, came to Murrayville with her family in 1920. After graduation from Normal School, Dorothy worked for the BC Telephone Company until she was offered a position at Murrayville in 1924. After stints at Belmont School and Langley Prairie, she moved to Aldergrove Secondary to teach home economics when the school opened in 1958. She was noted for her success with boys' cooking classes, long before the advent of chef training programs. She received her B.Ed degree in 1964 and retired in 1969 after 45 years in the school system. Dorothy was also active in the Langley Teachers' Association (President, 1949-51), the Langley Memorial Hospital Board (9 years), the Langley Arts Council, and the Langley Retired Teachers' Association. She played golf until she was 89 years old. Her sense of humour was greatly missed when she died at the age of 93 after a short illness. 

The school is of tilt-up concrete wall construction. There is hot water heating. Water and sewer connections are in place. 

The school is located on 2.34 hectares (5.8 Acres) and has a galvanized link fence, a paved play court on the southwest, a paved play court on the southeast, bicycle racks, a large grass field shared with the Township, 5 sets of 4-seat swings, a climber, 2 sets of teeter totters, a dome, 3 slides, 2 climbing bars, a ladder climber, wheelchair swing, and an accessible play structure. To the east of the school is Dorothy Peacock Park. 

In 2004 there are 407 students registered at the school. 

Back to top 1



Navigation Links for History of Langley Schools Section

Click on the following

or

Return to LRTA Web Site’s Home Page



1234


 Contact web master © LRTA, December 2013