History of Simonds Elementary

Simonds

 

Simonds Elementary School was opened in 1959 with two classrooms and an office, on 7.44 acres of property at 20190 - 48 Avenue. 

Thomas Simonds farmed just west of Murray's Corners on 48 Avenue from 1891 to 1917. Simonds Road (48 from 208 - 216) was named for his son Hazelette (Hazy), who was killed at Vimy Ridge in 1917. 

Three years after the school was first constructed, Simonds School had an additional classroom and covered play area added. After another three years, the play area was covered in to form another classroom, and in 1965 an additional classroom and a second play area were added. Because of rapid population growth in the area, four more classrooms and a library were added in 1968. Other additions included an activity room built in 1971, and two more classrooms, a new library, and gymnasium all added in 1973. In 1974, the third covered play area was added along with yet another classroom. 

In 2004, Simonds School has 370 pupils with 17 divisions, including Kindergarten to grade seven. Simonds also provides both a district primary and intermediate special needs program. 

Simonds has an extensive music program, including music appreciation, ukulele, and an intermediate band program. 

The school logo is the Sky Hawk, and their motto is SOAR to SUCCESS at SIMONDS. 


Back to top 1
 Contact web master © LRTA, December 2013